The Annerley Branch, formed in March 2001, is a progressive and active local branch of the Australian Labor Party, comprising a very diverse membership who are passionate about making our nation more socially and economically just and environmentally sustainable.
Our members are not only active in the union movement but also in our community, with many regularly volunteering for local services, organisations and events.
The Annerley Branch is also well known for its strong advocacy for a more democratic and inclusive Party.
Although our Branch area currently covers Annerley, Fairfield, Tarragindi and part of Buranda, residents in the federal seats of Griffith and Moreton are welcome to join us.
(a) promote the objectives and platforms of the Australian Labor Party,
(b) assist in the election of endorsed candidates for federal, state and local government by participating in fundraising and election campaigns promote and encourage membership of the Party,
(c) promote and encourage membership of the Party,
(d) encourage Branch members to develop strong links with local communities, engage in local community activities and participate in local community organisations,
(e) support the development and training of local Branch members,
(f) promote and develop the policies and platform of the Party and encourage Branch members to participate in all Party forums, and
(g) engage in social activities to provide fellowship amongst Branch members”.
“To be an active and innovative local Branch of the Australian Labor Party that encourages member participation, fosters a diversity of opinions and views, contributes to the formation and implementation of Labor Party policy and rules, and engages with our community”.
The Annerley Branch strongly believes in and promotes the following political and social values:
- democratic socialism – the Branch strongly supports the democratic socialisation of industry, production, distribution and exchange, to the extent necessary to eliminate exploitation and other anti social features in these fields.
- economic justice – the Branch believes that economic policy must promote the well being of the community.
- equality – the Branch supports the concept of social and political equality.
- equity – the Branch encourages member participation from a wide diversity of backgrounds and cultures.
- social co-operation – the Branch seeks to work with others in the labour movement and the local community to promote our democratic socialist values.
- environmental sustainability – the Branch encourages and promotes awareness of environmental sustainability in relation to all decision making on social and economic development matters.
- intergenerational responsibility – the Branch believes that government decision making should encompass long term planning to ensure real social and economic benefit for future generations.
The Annerley Branch is a democratic local branch of the Australian Labor Party with decision-making vested in regularly constituted general meetings of its members. Our member meetings are responsible for the election of our Executive, other office-bearers and various delegates, as well as the adoption of resolutions on policy and other matters. For a basic summary of our structure, please click here.
Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians
The Annerley Branch acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land upon which we live, organise and meet – the Jagera people and the Turrbal people.